Home   Medway   News   Article

Chatham father Adam Green cleared of involvement in drive-by shooting of Dara Shikah and Nabil Kheder

A dad has been acquitted of being one of two men who fired a sawn-off shotgun at two Kurdish men over the sale of car.

Adam Green, of Hards Town, Chatham, agreed that he had been at the yard in Gillingham the day before when violence broke out over the sale of a car in a dangerous condition.

But he claimed in court he did not return on orange moto-cross style motorbikes with another rider and fire at two men working there with a double barrelled sawn-off shotgun.

Armed officers were called to the Gillingham industrial plot
Armed officers were called to the Gillingham industrial plot

Now a Maidstone Crown Court jury has returned majority verdicts on two charges of attempted murder, two of wounding with intent and two of unlawful wounding against Green.

His sister, mother-of-two Melissa Green, 22, of Lord Duncan Court, Duncan Road, Gillingham was also cleared of a charge of perverting the course of justice.

But their brother, Steven Green, was unanimously convicted of perverting the course of justice.

The 28-year-old, of Luton Road, Chatham, had earlier been found unfit to plead to the charge and the jury just had to decide whether he “did the act”.

Maidstone Crown Court had heard victims Dara Shikah and Nabil Kheder were wrongly targeted as they had nothing to do with the sale of the car.

The Kurdish men tried to run to safety but suffered leg wounds at the yard in Railway Street, Gillingham, on April 13, 2012.

Police at the scene of the shooting in Railway Street
Police at the scene of the shooting in Railway Street

The jury had been told that two men who worked for Khabat Ismail sold a Ford Focus to the Greens’ brother Tony for his girlfriend.

Adam Green and others went to the yard on April 12 and asked mechanic friend Mark Payne to inspect the car. He told them it was extremely dangerous.

Green said his brother asked the seller to fix the car but he refused and violence then broke out.

He was struck on the arm by a metal bar and his brother suffered a head wound.

They went to Medway Hospital for treatment but left when the men from the yard turned up.

Green, who suffers from Asperger’s disorder and receives disability allowance, said he owned several motorcycles which were kept in a friend’s garage at the flats in Hards Town.

“I rode them for fun,” he said. “Other people also rode them. I could name quite a lot of people who rode them.”

Green claimed on the morning of the shooting he went for a jog at the Great Lines for 30 to 45 minutes.

Police respond to reports of a shooting in Railway Street, Gillingham
Police respond to reports of a shooting in Railway Street, Gillingham

When he returned to home, he said, he went to the friend’s flat and saw a crash helmet, overalls and wet Nike trainers nearby on some furniture.

He thought the friend had taken them out of the garage, he said, in one of his “funny turns”, so he picked them up and took them to his flat.

The helmet belonged to his brother Steven.

“I knew they were from the garage,” he continued. “I have seen them in there before. I recognised the overalls from the garage but can’t say whose they were. I didn’t recognise the trainers.”

Green said he had a rest and then went to the Pump House Gym in Chatham High Street.

CCTV showed him arriving there soon after 1pm.

The shooting happened around midday.

Steven Green was bailed and will be sentenced on November 17.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More