Home   Thanet   News   Article

Chip pan blaze in Margate flat

A Margate man who left his chip pan unattended returned to find it had set part of his kitchen alight.
Firefighters from Margate and Thanet (Westwood) were called to the first floor flat in Rancorn Road at 5.30pm yesterday (February 4).
They wore breathing apparatus as they tackled the blaze, before ventilating the property and fitting smoke alarms to two neighbouring flats.
Steve Flint, watch manager at Margate fire station, said: “Fortunately, the individual wasn’t hurt but the outcome could have been much worse.
“Our message is clear: have a working smoke alarm fitted, as they provide an early warning to a fire in your home and can buy you enough time to escape safely.”
He added: “It’s easy to lose concentration while cooking. It takes a very short space of time for a pan to overheat, so never leave cooking unattended. If there is a fire, get out, stay out and call the fire brigade.”

Fire appliance
Fire appliance

Kent Fire and Rescue offers fire safety advice and free home safety visits and will fit free smoke alarms where required. For more information, call 0800 923 7000 or visitwww.kent.fire-uk.org.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More