Home   Thanet   News   Article

Smouldering paper used to fan barbecue flames sparks fire in utility room at house in Birchington

Smouldering paper used to fan a barbecue caused a fire in a utility room after being put in the bin.

Two fire engines went to St Mildred's Avenue in Birchington at 8.35pm last night and crews extinguished the fire.

The fire broke out at a property in St Mildred's Avenue in Birchington. Picture: Google Maps
The fire broke out at a property in St Mildred's Avenue in Birchington. Picture: Google Maps

A KFRS spokesman says it is believed to have started accidentally after hot, smouldering paper, which had been used to fan the flames of a barbecue, had been put in a bin.

"Crews are urging residents to always make sure items are fully cooled before being disposed of, as even a little remaining heat can cause bins to catch fire.

"This is especially true with disposable barbecues, and with hot weather forecast for today and tomorrow, firefighters are asking people to take care to prevent fires starting and intensifying in the dry, warm conditions."

There were no reported injuries.

Read more: All the latest news from Thanet


More by this author


This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More