The loved ones of a popular gamer have spoken of their shock at his sudden death following an asthma attack at the age of 34.
Paramedics were called to Robert Huckstep’s home in Margate after he was found struggling to breathe by his mum.
When they arrived, he suffered a cardiac arrest and the ambulance crew worked to resuscitate him for 30 minutes before he was put in an induced coma and rushed to hospital.
But sadly, his brain was starved of oxygen and the heartbreaking decision was made to turn off his life support machine on April 3.
His mum’s best friend, Ingrid Payne, has paid tribute to Robert on his family’s behalf and described the tragic moments which led up to his death.
“There were a couple of days where he found it difficult to breathe a week before he collapsed,” she said.
“He went to the hospital and they put him on a nebuliser.”
On March 29, Robert phoned in sick to work after struggling with his asthma.
Later that day, his mum visited his home where she found him having breathing difficulties.
Ingrid added: “They phoned an ambulance so he told his mum to look for the ambulance.
“As it arrived, she looked back and saw he had fallen down. He was panicking because he couldn’t breathe.
“She had him in his arms and he slumped.”
At hospital, doctors found the brain had been starved of oxygen and on April 3, his family were told given the devastating news there was nothing more they could do as his organs were being kept alive by a machine.
Ingrid said: “He suffered with asthma all his life but it was monitored with inhalers.
“He wasn’t on oxygen and he wasn’t a chronic asthmatic.
“We don’t know what suddenly caused it.”
The NHS website says the symptoms of asthma can usually be kept under control, but it is still a serious condition that can cause a number of problems.
Symptoms include a wheezing, breathlessness, a whistling sound when breathing and a tight chest.
Ingrid says his family want to raise awareness about the condition.
“Everyone knew he had asthma but everyone is shocked he has died because of it,” she said.
“His friends were saying they only saw him at work the day before so it is hard to believe he was there one day and not the next.
“The family were aware people have asthma and they can collapse, but they weren’t aware people die from it.
“He always had his inhalers with him but people with asthma should make sure they go to asthma meetings, make sure they’re taking their inhaler correctly and if they have any problems, call 111.”
A fundraiser, which can be found here, has been launched to cover the cost of his funeral.
Robert was an avid gamer and worked at the Grumpy Goblin in both the Margate and Dover stores.
Paying tribute to Robert, Ingrid said: “He was very polite and always smiling.
“He was very chatty and was helpful whenever you asked him to do anything.”