Published: 13:19, 01 September 2018
| Updated: 13:32, 01 September 2018
A grieving husband says that his wife's death in Egypt has similiarities to that of a couple there less than a fortnight ago.
All three victims, on Thomas Cook holidays, were believed to be healthy and fell ill after a strong smell in their hotel rooms.
Clive Eversfield, of Ramsgate, said in today's Mail Online: "It is not a one-off. Three people, who their relatives believed were fit and healthy, have died. There are several common denominators – something is clearly wrong."
Susan and John Cooper, of Burnley, Lancashire, both died on August 21 after collapsing in their hotel, the Steigenberger Aqua Magic in Hurghada, following reports of an unusual smell.
Mr Everfield and his wife Alison Sonnex, 54, both became violently ill after both noticed a "strong smell" in their hotel room in the resort of Marsa Alam in April.
They suffered vomiting and diarrhoea in the Royal Tulip Hotel.
Mrs Sonnex collapsed next morning, April 12, and died that day in hospital.
Mr Eversfield, 59, told Mail Online, said: "She was only 54 and fit and healthy – there is no reason why she should have died.
‘We both fell horrendously ill and we don’t know what caused it."
He recently read about the tragedies of John Cooper, 69, who died in his room, and his wife Susan, 63, who died hours after being rushed to hospital.
He said yesterday: "I was stunned when I read about the couple – there were so many similarities in what happened to us."
Mr Eversfield said that towards the end of his and his wife's week-long holiday he noticed an odour in his room after two neighbouring ones were sealed off with masking tape.
He told Mail Online: "We thought that was strange and then started to smell a strong smell like bleach or something in our room."
The next day, the couple's last on holiday, they ate at the hotel buffet and went back to their room for the night.
Mr Eversfield said: "At about 1am we started to feel really sick. We were up through the early hours with projectile vomiting and diarrhoea."
The couple still prepared to check out after their disrupted sleep but Mrs Sonnex collapsed and both were taken to hospital.
Mrs Sonnex was placed in intensive care.
Mr Eversfield said: "I was left in the room on a drip. Someone came in two hours later and told me my wife had died."
He recovered within days.
Mrs Sonnex had been a teacher at Dane Court Grammar School in Broadstairs since 1995.
The inquest into her death, at the Archbishop's Palace in Maidstone, opened in July and was covered by Kent Online.
The coroner then heard that UK post mortem results gave the cause of her death as unascertained.
The hearing was adjourned until September 19.
Thomas Cook said it was supporting the investigating UK coroner over Mrs Sonnex's death and investigating the hotel where the Coopers fell ill, Mail Online reported.
All three deaths were treated as natural causes by the Egyptian authorities.
Both Hurghada and Marsa Alam are on the western Red Sea coast but 180 miles apart.