Published: 15:06, 16 May 2021
| Updated: 15:35, 16 May 2021
More than 300 suspected asylum seekers have been intercepted in their attempts to cross the Channel.
The work was done by both the British and French over two days.
The UK authorities dealt with eight confirmed events yesterday involving 164 people.
The Home Office, giving updated figures late last night, said that French authorities prevented six attempts yesterday, involving 105 people, and three attempts on Friday night involving 38 people.
Asylum seekers stopped at sea on the British side of the Channel are usually taken by the Border Force to Dover Western Docks for interview and processing.
The Home Office says that more than 3,000 people have been prevented from crossing so far this year
It has also secured more than 65 small boat- related prosecutions since the start of 2020, leading to a total of more than 53 years in custodial sentences.
A spokesman said: “Criminal gangs are putting people’s lives at risk through these dangerous and unnecessary crossings.
"We are bringing legislation forward through our New Plan for Immigration which will break the business model of the people smuggling networks and save lives.”