Home   Kent   News   Article

Disgusting things found in food and restaurants in Kent

By Ellis Stephenson

When you head out for a bite to eat, the last thing you want is an unexpected gift on your plate of food.

Yet customers in the county have been left disgusted on many occasions thanks to unwanted items in their takeaways, dinners and were found in their dishes and where it is prepared.

Here are 11 times when disgusting things were found by people in Kent in food and restaurants.

A £5 note alongside the rogue greaseproof paper, which somehow ended up in a Big Tasty with Bacon
A £5 note alongside the rogue greaseproof paper, which somehow ended up in a Big Tasty with Bacon

Greaseproof paper found in McDonald's burger

A mum promised never to return to McDonald's ever again after she found a piece of greaseproof paper in her burger from its Maidstone Week Street branch.

Judy Harvard ordered the Big Tasty with Bacon patty through UberEats before the suspect item, which was about the size of half a £5 note.

She said: "I thought 'what's that?' Then I saw the greaseproof paper. It put me off straight away and made me feel sick."

Mrs Amusa and her interesting find
Mrs Amusa and her interesting find

Unidentifiable object in Aldi beans

Aldi was forced to apologise after a customer found an unidentifiable object in a tin of beans.

Shade Amusa, from Rainham, made the discovery when she was tipping the pulses into pasta she had just cooked.

She said: "I just want them to make sure that their products are of a better quality. It's things like this that can be easily overlooked and end up causing health issues and causing people to get ill."

Teenager says he won't eat KFC again after being served these chips
Teenager says he won't eat KFC again after being served these chips

'Mouldy' chips puts teen of KFC

A teenager from Strood was left disgusted after being served mouldy chips in his KFC.

The 16-year-old, who was not named, was put off KFC for life after when he got halfway down his box of chips to find the offending items.

He said: "I can't believe someone would have seen them and thought it's ok to serve them. I'm a big fan of KFC but I don't think I'll be going back."

Bethany Webster's Facebook post
Bethany Webster's Facebook post

Worm found in sweetcorn

One diner got a horrible surprise when she found what looked like a maggot inside her KFC sweetcorn.

Bethany Webster took to Facebook to warn people of the find in the Mill Way, Sittingbourne, restaurant.

She said: "KFC ended up giving my mum a refund but they weren't going to at first. It wasn't until my mum said she would go to environmental health that they gave her a refund."

The diner said he found a cigarette butt in his meal (9897096)
The diner said he found a cigarette butt in his meal (9897096)

Cigarette butt found in Indian takeaway

A man allegedly found a fag butt in his takeaway in an Indian restaurant.

The curry lover, who did not wish to be named, ordered meals for himself and his partner from Masala Reef restaurant, Sheerness.

According to the 32-year-old, he called the Hope Street takeaway and paid £30 for his order of a Tandoori mixed grill, a curry, onion bhajis and poppadoms over the phone.

A beetle allegedly found in a container from the Lotus House in Dover. Picture: Jack Stevenson (9896902)
A beetle allegedly found in a container from the Lotus House in Dover. Picture: Jack Stevenson (9896902)

'Cockroach' found in Chinese takeaway

A pregnant mum from Dover was put off her Saturday night takeaway after she claims she found a cockroach in her vegetarian chow mein.

Emma McGarry, was eight months pregnant when she found the creepy-crawly in her meal from the Lotus House Chinese takeaway in London Road.

Miss McGarry, then 22, and her partner Jack Stevenson uploaded the snap to Facebook - with the message "feeling ill" - and reported it to environmental health teams.

Masala Bay takeaway in Herne Bay. Picture: Google Street View (9896718)
Masala Bay takeaway in Herne Bay. Picture: Google Street View (9896718)

Cockroach in poppadoms

An Indian takeaway was closed down by health inspectors after a customer found a cockroach in a bag of poppadoms.

The find prompted an investigation which revealed a cockroach infestation at the Masala Bay in Herne Bay High Street which the owners immediately closed to carry out pest control measures.

The takeaway was later issued with a hygiene emergency prohibition order. The venue has since recovered to have a three rating for hygiene.

Happy Times Chinese takeaway in London Road, Larkfield. Picture: Google
Happy Times Chinese takeaway in London Road, Larkfield. Picture: Google

Wing nut found in seaweed

A Chinese takeaway owner was banned from running a restaurant after a string of hygiene and safety breaches including a diner finding a wing nut in crispy seaweed.

David Wen, owner of Happy Times in London Road, Larkfield, was told by magistrates he could no longer manage his business.

Earlier this year the 52-year-old pleaded guilty to selling food not of the nature demanded by the purchaser, as well as charges of failing to keep food premises clean and maintained, failing to clean and disinfect equipment and failing to protect food against contamination.

Papa John's in Sittingbourne's West Street was closed by health inspectors
Papa John's in Sittingbourne's West Street was closed by health inspectors

Rats shut pizza takeaway

A takeaway had to close after inspectors found rats during a routine inspection.

Papa John's in West Street, Sittingbourne, was forced to close in April after the discovery was made.

It was served with a Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Notice, meaning it had to close with immediate effect.

Part of The Golden Hope was closed off
Part of The Golden Hope was closed off

Maggots found in town centre pub ceiling

Wetherspoon's pub in Park Road, Sittingbourne, The Golden Hope, had to call in pest controllers after maggots were found on the ceiling.

Customers reported the problem when it was discovered in April 2017.

A spokesman said: "As soon as the situation became apparent, staff closed off the customer area and informed the pest control services immediately."

Rats outside McDonald's

While this one was not filmed inside a restaurant, it is still pretty gross.

A customer was left stunned when he discovered the animals crawling around outside the McDonald's in London Road, Greenhithe.

McDonald's said its restaurant has a five-star hygiene rating.

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Follow us

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More