by Paul Hooper
A banned motorist drove at nearly twice the speed limit through Kent villages... just five years after killing a friend in a crash.
Joseph Banach, 24, from Warehorne, had been jailed and disqualified from driving after losing control of his vehicle driving at 70 mph.
But Canterbury Crown Court heard that in August this year he was back behind the wheel of a Renault Clio driving at speeds up to 75 mph.
Prosecutor Christopher May told how on Sunday August 21 officers spotted him in Canterbury - Banach saw the police and then sped away.
"There followed a high speed chase through Shalmsford Road onto the A28 at speeds up to 55 mph and into the narrow streets of Chilham, where the speed limit is 30 mph.
"The Crown says as he drove through the village his driving was extremely dangerous.
"There were a lot of people outside the local pub - including the landlord of The White Horse who had to jump out of the way, fearing the car was going to hit the pub fences."
Mr May said eyewitnesses described being "horrified" and being "frozen with fear" as they watched Banach brake heavily before driving across a blind junction and onto the A252.
He said the police then broke off the chase for safety reasons.
In October 2006, Banach had been jailed for 33 months and banned for five years after admitting killing pal, Nicholas Martin, 19 by driving dangerously.
His Honda had struck a telegraph pole on School Hill, Warehorne in excess of 75 mph - throwing his friend through a back window.
Mr May said after his latest arrest, Banach told officers that he had his girlfriend with him and he had panicked when he saw the police, adding: "I can't deal with going back to jail."
Banach, of Spot Acre, Warehorne, was jailed for 20 months after admitting driving dangerously and four charges of driving while disqualified and without insurance.
He said he initially overtook two cars, then another three while driving at speeds of up to 75 mph.
Banach also admitted driving while disqualified on three other occasions.
Luke Ponte, defending, said: "He is very sorry for what he has done."
Judge Adele Williams told Banach: "You have shown a complete disregard for the court order disqualifying you from driving - and drove on four separate occasions."
He was banned for a further three years and ordered to re-take his driving test.