Home   Kent   News   Article

Killed - by an insect bite

County Hall
County Hall

chunter@thekmgroup.co.uk

When Andrea Jarvis first noticed she had an insect bite on her right shoulder, she thought nothing of it.

Five days later the 41-year-old mum-of-two was dead.

An inquest into her death has now revealed pre-school manager Mrs Jarvis, of Clarence Road, Chatham, was the victim of sepsis and toxic shock syndrome when the bite became infected.

Doctors said the condition is so rare most will never see it in their lifetime.

Mrs Jarvis' husband Steven told the hearing at Maidstone' County Hall he had been looking after their children when his wife began feeling unwell after being bitten.

He said her condition seemed to be improving since she was prescribed antibiotics, but on Friday May 7 Mrs Jarvis collapsed.

She was taken to hospital, where her condition deteriorated and she died later that day.

Pathologist Olaf Biedrzycki said toxic shock syndrome was treatable if diagnosed early, but that the condition became "very severe" once it had begun to affect different organs.

Coroner Roger Sykes recorded a verdict of death by misadventure.

Did you know Andrea Jarvis? Pay tribute to her in the comment box below, e-mail the newsdesk atmultimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227 834.

Read more


More by this author


This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More