Home   Kent   News   Article

Video: Stefan Stanko jailed over double death crash

Sorry, this video asset has been removed.

Families and police speak
out after sentencing

by Julia Roberts

A drink driver who killed two pedestrians and injured three
others as they walked home from a social club at night has been
jailed for 10 years.

Stefan Stanko
Stefan Stanko

Stefan Stanko, of Russell Quay, West Street, Gravesend, was
also banned from driving for 10 years.

Judge Jeremy Gold QC told the 24-year-old Slovakian he had
caused "carnage" when he drove while almost twice the legal limit
and despite warnings from friends and their efforts to hide his car

"You showed a flagrant disregard for the safety of pedestrians
and other road users by driving your car in that state of
intoxication," he told the father-of-two, who kept his head bowed
throughout the hour-long hearing.

Judge Gold added that he viewed the offence as the most serious
type of its kind. He said it was further aggravated by Stanko
driving away from the scene and making no effort to help his

However, he said he accepted that Stanko, who came to the UK in
2004, had since shown genuine remorse. A total of 124 days already
served on remand will count towards his sentence.

Stanko admitted causing death by dangerous driving of Brian
Moon, 67, and 49-year-old Denise Head, driving with excess alcohol
and failing to stop after an accident.

He was jailed for 10 years concurrent on each of the death by
dangerous driving charges, and four-and-a-half months concurrent on
each of the excess alcohol and failing to stop matters.

Mrs Head, of Little Knoll, South Ashford, and Mr Moon, of Farrow
Court, Stanhope, were struck by Stanko's Nissan Primera in Beaver
Road, Ashford, on September 27.

They were in a group of family and friends walking home just
after midnight after a Sunday evening at Ashford International
Sports and Social Club.

Grandmother Mrs Head was pronounced dead at the scene and
great-grandfather Mr Moon died later in hospital.

Phyllis Wanstall, 63, Julie Scorah, 26, and her 12-year-old
niece Rosie Brown were injured. Rosie sustained serious head
injuries and remains in hospital. She is in a wheelchair, is unable
to speak and has to be fed through a tube.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More