Home   Maidstone   News   Article

Stubble fire in Maidstone field prompts warning over discarded cigarettes

Smokers have been warned to be careful when discarding their cigarettes after a fire in a field.

Firefighters were called after the corn stubble in a field off Gatland Lane, Maidstone, caught fire last night.

Firefighters tackle a stubble fire. Stock pic
Firefighters tackle a stubble fire. Stock pic

Crews used a hose reel jet to tackle the blaze, which started at around 6.15pm and was quickly extinguished.

No casualties were reported.

It is peak period for field fires and Kent Fire and Rescue has repeated a call to the public to take extra care with smoking materials which could accidentally trigger a blaze.

The service said in the current dry weather it was responding to woodland, grass and crop fires across the county, often caused by a discarded cigarette.

Smokers are urged to ensure their cigarette stubs are fully out and cooled before being put in a bin and to consider using a portable ashtray when on the go.

Read more: All the latest news from Maidstone

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More